Tuesday, March 9, 2010

"Maybe it's not my weekend, but it's gonna be my year"

Sorry it's been super long since I updated this! No excuses really, I just kept forgetting to get around to it.

So since I last posted, a whole bunch has happened to me here in NYC!

A few weeks ago, I got free tickets from work to see Kathy Griffin (a famous stand-up comedian) at Madison Square Garden! I took my friend Sammie who goes to Northeastern and is here in NYC doing co-op as well. The show was lots of fun. Kathy Griffin is pretty intense and offensive, so some of her stuff wasn't interesting to me, but I had fun overall...and the tickets were free :). It was also great to see some people from work outside of the office. Here's Kathy at MSG: kgriff

At work, this Friday is our last day in the building we are currently in. Starting next week, Entertainment Tonight/The Insider's New York Office will be in the offices at The Ed Sullivan Theatre (where they film Letterman!) The new office will be smaller, but apparently it's nicer and of course it will be great to hopefully see Letterman and Letterman's guests coming in and out of the building! I'm excited. Last week and this week at work, my main job is focusing on helping with the move, as well as the usual show logging, picking up video tapes, and answering phones.
Current building:
1633
New building:
edsullivan

I also saw "Memphis" on Broadway the same weekend I saw Kathy Griffin! It was a great, energetic show that I'm sure will win lots of Tony awards. We got front-row seats for $26!! I love student rush :).

I went home for the weekend a couple weeks ago...I always love being home, even if it's just for a short time. I might possibly be home for a day or two this weekend, but if not, I get to see my family in Vero Beach, Florida in 2.5 short weeks :)
Here's the Disney resort at Vero Beach:
Vero_Beach_Pool

My good friend Jen came and visited Ben and I two weeks ago! It was a lot of fun :). We went to "The Strand" bookstore, which is my dad's favorite place to visit in the city! I got a couple books about musical theatre from the $1 book section.

In other news, I am on a new track which will hopefully finally allow me to lose weight, be in shape, and be healthy and happy. Instead of doing stupid temporary diets which I have been on and off of since junior year of high school with no success, I am just planning on eating healthy and running consistently. Now, I am running 2 to 3 miles 3 days a week, but for some reason it isn't really working for me. I am going to try to run 4 or 5 days a week, go a little faster on the runs, and I am also planning on walking home (or to) most days (it's a 3 mile walk from our apartment to my building). I have also found a nice "track" around the Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis Reservoir in Central Park which is 1.58 miles, so if I run that 2 or 3 times, I'm good :). I'm frustrated of feeling lousy and unhealthy...I need a big change! If anyone has any sort of motivation/advice for me, send it on over! :)

I feel like the past two weeks I have been in a little "slump" here in New York. I am still loving work and being in the city, but it's setting in that I'm almost halfway through my time here, and I don't feel like I accomplished a lot. I blogged about how I made goals when I first got here...and even though I have accomplished a few of them (getting 6 hours of sleep at night, going to outside events/shoots at work whenever possible, keeping in better touch with friends from home, etc.), there are bigger, more important ones that I haven't done yet. I still consider my music-related goals the most important ones, because I really need to go for them while I'm here in the city. I have written a few songs since I've been here, and I'm proud of them, but I haven't recorded any yet or done anything with them. I really need to get my MacBook (hint, hint Mom!) because I can't record songs without it (this crappy old computer has so many issues, and also doesn't have the program I need to record songs with). I also haven't been to any auditions since HAIR, and that is mostly because I have work on days that most of the auditions are, but I definitely would like to try to go to more. Even though I've been sticking to my running schedule, I still haven't been losing weight, and though I do the runs, I need to put more work into them and push myself harder. Overall, I just really want to make the most of my experience in New York City, because before I know it I will have to go back to school, and I don't want these months to go by wasted. I only live once :).

Sorry to be a downer with that last paragraph, but I felt like I needed to rant...what better place than here?

Even though I'm in a temporary rut, I am still loving New York and I am completely optimistic that I can and will make the changes that I need to make in my life and I can and will do a lot of this while I'm here in New York City!

Up next for me....going to visit a friend in Connecticut this weekend! That should be fun. The weekend after that, we will be going up to Boston to visit, and also do some work with the Spring Revue, and go to the voting meeting for TGWW. (For those of you who don't know, TGWW is the student-run musical theatre group that I am heavily involved in at school.) At the voting meeting, I have decided to run to be the director of the mainstage musical in the fall. If I got voted in to director (the whole group votes), it would be a huge responsibility, but also a great learning experience. So pray for me about this :). The weekend after Boston, I will be in VERO BEACH, FLORIDA! We are staying at the Disney Resort in Vero Beach. Christopher has to go there for a baseball tournament, so the whole family is going (arriving at different times), and it will be exciting to see Mom, Dad, Chris, Doodle...anyone else? I'm pumped and so excited to be going to warm weather and family fun.

Love,
Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment